My mojo was gone. Hopelessly, I was flipping through my Cookie Bible (yes a real book) and saw this recipe.
(chorus of angels)
I had to make it. Who cares that I had to buy a Madeline pan, roast AND chop 4 cups of hazelnuts, create a piping tip and carefully place almonds as claws on the tips of these cookies? sigh.
I made these cookies twice. The first time was for a cookie exchange
cue Martha Stewart and I kinda sorta forgot to actually put the nuts in the food processor. And let me just say, 4 cups is a boatload of nuts. Go ahead and make your jokes.
So I made it again with just 1 cup of ground hazelnuts and it turned out perfectly. Oh and I didn’t have a piping tip so I just cut a tiny hole at the bottom of a sandwich bag. BAM.
Czech Bear Paws
- 1 cup toasted ground almonds
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 TSP ground cinnamon
- 1/2 TSP ground nutmeg
- 1/4 TSP salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) plus 3 TSP butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, melted
- slivered almonds, halved
1. Preheat oven to 350. Place hazelnuts, flour, cocoa, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in medium bowl; stir to continue
2. Beat 1 cup butter, powdered sugar and egg yolk in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour mixture. Beat at low speed until soft dough forms.
3. Grease madeline pan with remaining butter. 1 TSP per pan; dust with flour. (If only 1 madeline pan is available, thoroughly wash, dry, regrease and flour after baking each batch. Cover remaining dough with plastic wrap; let stand at rom temperature.) Press level tablespoonfuls of dough into each mold.
4. Bake 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cookies stand in pan 3 minutes. Carefully loosen cookies from pan with point of small knife. Invert pan over wire rack, tap lightly to release cookies. Let stand 2 minutes. Turn cookies shell-side up; cool completely.
5. Pipe squiggle of melted chocolate on curved end of each cookie; place slivered almond halves in melted chocolate for claws. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour or until set.
6. Store tightly covered at room temperature. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
The bear is BACK! 🙂